Eydon's Local History
Ongoing, Completed and Proposed Projects
Re-population of the Village
This was investigated using information in the land tax of 1910, which produced a 'Little Domesday Book', listing every piece of land, who owned it, rented it, and how much it was worth. With this, plus information from the census returns, rent books, etc, and from individual house histories, deeds etc, we intend to extend the re-population story into this century.
The workings of the Poor Law in Eydon have been studied using the old overseers’ record book. This lists all expenditure on indoor and outdoor relief given to those too old or too sick to care for themselves. Along with the help given by friendly societies, such as the Ancient Order of Foresters, they provided the social services in the village prior to the introduction of the welfare state.
Re-drawing the Enclosure Map of Eydon
The biggest change to the landscape of Eydon was caused by the Enclosure Act of 1762 that carved up the two medieval open fields into the field pattern seen today. Unfortunately, the map recording this change has not survived, but the schedule, stating who got what area of land, has been saved. This has been transcribed and with its help, the old map has been reconstructed by comparing field sizes and boundary directions on the ground with those in the schedule.
History of Eydon School
For more than 100 years the school played a major part in the history of Eydon. Now a study is being carried out on school records, the daily log, the inspectors’ reports, etc, which cast a human light on the otherwise dry story derived from other records.
History of the Women’s Institute
In many historical documents women are less visible than men, and their influence in the community is not always apparent. While all formal records of the first 20 years of the Women’s Institute in the village have been lost, we have either committee or regular monthly meeting records for most of the succeeding years. These show the valuable role played by the female members of the community, and is of particular interest during the war years when they were actively involved in fundraising for many causes.
The first part of this project - the early years - has been completed and was one of the articles in 'Big Marjorie and the Rector's Bull' now for sale through EHRG. Research has now been completed on the later years of the WI - from the 1950s to 1991 and the final part of the story Eydon WI the final years.
Photograph taken at November 2007 exhibition - courtesy of Mick and Sonia Hawes